Calvin Klein Tote
Part 3: Dior Makeup Bag
This is the last of the smaller bags in the first What’s In My Bag series.
In case you missed Part 1, the Tech Bag, you can read it here.
You can also find Part 2 in the series, the HOBO Lauren Wallet, here.
The final post in this series will be the smaller bags (parts 1-3) put together in the tote. Click here to see the details of the Calvin Klein tote.
This post is going to focus on the makeup bag I’m currently carrying.
I tend to change makeup bags far more often than I change purses. It all depends on what I want to have with me, at that point. For instance, if I have a cold, I’ll likely have cough drops with me. Currently, I don’t carry a lot in the way of cosmetics, so actually I don’t need a very roomy makeup bag, so this one is the perfect size. It’s a happy coincidence it matches my HOBO Lauren wallet!
Let’s get into my makeup bag and see what I’ve got in there.
- makeup bag: Dior Makeup Kit (Bonus) I got this makeup bag with Sephora’s Beauty Insider rewards points. It had 4 or 5 Dior products in it. I don’t find where they ever sold it in a store, but there are quite a few at Poshmark and several listed on ebay with the search “dior pink makeup bag” if you have to have this particular style.
- nail file/emery board: Nail file with travel/storage case, $6.99; I usually find them at Target, Walmart, the drug store, Dollar Tree. When I find them, I pick up several, and they’re usually not more than a couple of dollars. I like this one because it’s shorter and more compact than a standard sized emery board.
- stopper: This came from a smaller coffee shop, but you could easily clean off one from your large chain coffee cup and tuck it in there. Very handy for if they don’t give you one, or they’re out.
- nail clippers: Revlon Nail Clippers, $2.00; Mine are an inexpensive pair from the dollar store, I think I paid .98¢. I’ve linked a pair at Walmart, but you can find them cheaper up by the registers in a number of stores.
- breath freshening strips: Listerine Pocketpaks in Cinnamon, $3.62 for a 3 pack (24 per pack = 72 total); If you don’t use Listerine strips you are missing out! I prefer the cinnamon flavor. They’re a great size and THE best breath freshener. Pop a couple on your tongue and you’re good to go!
- hand cream: L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream, 1 oz., $12.00; This is one of the best hand creams out there. Even though I change my hand lotion, I always go back to this. You can save $7.20 if you buy 3 of the 1 oz. tubes here.
- lip gloss: Buxom Full-On Lip Cream in White Russian, $20.00; The perfect pinky nude lip gloss. It has a gentle plumping effect, isn’t sticky, and goes with everything. The link is to a special limited edition at Sephora, it’s the same price as the regular edition.
- lip balm: EOS Lip Balm in Coconut Milk, $3.29; Even though I was a bit late on the EOS bandwagon, I’ve more than made up for it. Coconut milk is my favorite, but they have MANY other flavors, and also put out seasonal, limited edition flavors. The packaging is a love/hate thing. It’s not always an easy fit, but he balm is so moisturizing and has such a great texture, it’s worth it.
- hand sanitizer: Bath and Body Works Hand Sanitizer in Pretty in Pink, 5 for $6.00; Good sanitizer. The scents change seasonally, but you can generally find something you like. They dry fairly quickly, but don’t dry out your skin. Love the packaging – compact and cute!
- floss picks: Flosser Toothpicks; A taut strip of dental floss at one end, a toothpick on the other. You can find them in about any size package you’d like by the toothpaste at most stores.
- dental floss: Glide Dental Floss Single Use; I’m not sure Glide makes these single use flosses anymore, but if the floss picks just won’t do, you can look by the toothpaste at most stores.
- bandages: Band-Aids; You can find bandages at any drug store, Walmart, Target, dollar store, etc. I use the non-latex kind because I have an allergy to it, but you can find them fairly easily, as well.
- breath mints: Altoids Smalls in Peppermint, $1.00 – $2.00; These are up by the cash registers where you find other gum and mints. Perfect small size to carry in your purse or bag.
- flashlight: Small LED Flashlight, This was a promotional item someone gave to me. It’s about the size of a AA battery, but because it’s an LED, it’s VERY bright. If you’re looking for one this small, look at stores’ POS (Point of Sale, or cash register area), or you can buy them online, but I only found them in bulk.
- hair ties: Scunci no-slip grip hair elastics; The link provided is for a listing at Walgreen’s, although they don’t have them for sale online. I included it so you can see what they look like. They’re flat, as opposed to being round, and they have a rubbery strip on the inside. That strip ensures your hair will not come out of it, until you take it out. I have long hair and these are the only hair ties I can use that my hair absolutely does not move. They’re a little more expensive than most other hair elastics, but SO worth it.
- bobby pins: Decorated Bobby Pins, 12 for $6.00; I always keep a couple of cute bobby pins in my purse to get my bangs out of my eyes when I’m out and about.
- pill case: Pill Case, $13.95; I linked to a really cute pill case on Amazon, but you can find them in gift stores, Hallmark stores, sometimes even drug stores, although theirs are usually plain. I carry over-the-counter pain medication, and migraine meds in case I’m out when one hits.
And that’s it! Everything I need in case something should happen when I’m away from home.
Like everything else I post of this sort, play around with contents until they work for you. For instance, if your hair isn’t long enough to throw up in a ponytail, you won’t need the hair elastics.
Look for the contents of your makeup bag in unexpected places: endcaps, dollar sections, POS (by the registers), in the section with travel sizes. And remember you’re the only one who can put together the perfect makeup bag for you!
See you for the last installment of What’s In My Bag: Calvin Klein Tote, soon.